Sunday, October 15, 2006

done...

I don’t know what it is, but after today’s cyclocross race…I just don’t feel like racing anymore. For real. I thought I had made that clear back in May at the 12-hours of Kewaskum, and the only other races I did were the Pewaukee Triathlon and the Chequamegon mtb race.

I’m keeping my Salsa Las Cruces though. It’s a nice light bike for commuting in the nasty WI Winter of Death Defying Stunts.

I did ok in today’s race, SS n’ all…but after the race I got a massive right hip pain. It still hurts…I hope I am not getting too old. I’ll only be 33 in a couple of weeks. I am still young in modern standards. Shit, back 500 years ago I’d really have a saggy ass and old balls…

Its just not appealing to me to pay $$$ to prove something to no one…I did it foolishly. Paying for a race whereas I could have used that money to fill up the tank, or get something for Annabel or Sarah. I feel so guilty. Money lost. A bad gamble. Racing sucks.

If I were top pro schmoe, then yes, I am racing against other fools for a “coveted” title. Title to what? To brag to the inner circle? Lame.

From now on, I will only commute by bike like I have been, and just ride for fun. On the dirt, on the road…back n dirt. I love bikes, but racing is not for me anymore.

I raced for most of the 90’s and I was good at it. I qualified twice for the Hawaii Ironman back in '95 & '96, but I didn't go because I didn't want to spend so much money for a race I knew I wasn't going to win. Now, there’s more responsibilities in my life and I don’t need thoughts of racing in my head anymore. My only race is personal best times between here and work and back. Just me and my bike, racing the clock with myself and me only and no one else.

Yes, I am taking up deer hunting next year. So there.

No comments: